JAM! - Jacksonville Automotive Muscle!  

Go Back   JAM! - Jacksonville Automotive Muscle! > JAM - Garage > Detailing and General Maintenance

Old 02-04-2016, 04:44 AM

Vehicle Make: Dodge
Vehicle Model: Challenger R/T
Trim Level: RT Classic
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 5.7 v8 Hemi
Lord Warlock is on a distinguished road
Default noisy brakes suggestions?

Before going to Pensacola for the holidays I had the local dodge dealer install a set of brake pads in the front. Car brakes fine and not squealing or anything obvious, however, if radio and AC is off, both front wheels are making noises I don't like, sounds like small gravel getting kicked into the wheelwell liners, have pinpointed the noise to the front brakes which were the only ones I had switched out. Thought it might have been coolant with the AC, but closer I paid attention to it, the more I figured it was the brakes. Doesn't happen from a stop, but noise tends to pick up once up to 25 to 40mph.

Almost never drive car without radio on , or AC on, so embarrassed it took so long to hear, but i'm sure not many of the owners on JAM would put up with noises coming from the car where it shouldn't before, old brakes didn't make any noise, wasn't wore out when changed just did it because it had been 5 years and it was due.

Just trying to find out if others have been through this already and there is something obvious to look for. Will probably take it to Viking Auto Air on sunbeam rd, as I want this resolved before I take the car down to Hudson FL.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Vehicle Make: DODGE
Vehicle Model: RAM
Trim Level: SPORT- R/T
Color: Flame Red PR-4
Engine: HEMI
RACERAM9 is on a distinguished road

is it a constant squeak? or a pulsing?

2007 RAM QC FLAME RED,20s, 3.92 rear Vararam CAI, Cherrybomb vortex mufflers dumped out in front of rear tires, Superchips Cortex, R/T badges on grill and tailgate custom designed stripes and hood vinyl.....and more to come
Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Its not really a squeak but more of a knocking sound like someone tossing pebbles against plastic, could be bubbles in the lines. Didn't start happening till had the brakes rebuilt, didn't notice the problem till had the radio and ac off for a while driving. Wife commented on the noise too, so know it wasn't me.
Does not happen when first drive off from a stop, usually takes a few minutes to warm up then starts a rattle noise, noise is louder on left than right, but both sides make the noise. Both coming from wheel area.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Vehicle Model: Challenger
Trim Level: R/T!!
Color: HEMI Orange
Engine: 5.7L/6-speed
Thommo will become famous soon enough

Man, I have no idea. I'd have to hear it, play with it and probably take stuff off and look at it. The description does not pin point the problem for me. There is a wheel speed sensor cable mounted by the inner wheel well. Maybe it's not secured and flapping in the breeze.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM

yep, sounds like i'll have to take it in and let a shop take a look and see if they notice anything out of the ordinary, want to take care of this before I drive it down to tampa to have the supercharger installed. (supercharger+bad brakes=bad result) Didn't want to take it back to dodge dealer, will have to wait till wife gets back into town in case I need to drop it off for a day.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 AM

took it in today, and they said it wasn't the brakes, he pointed out that the mud flaps appear to be cracked and making noise, I'll be removing the front mud flaps tomorrow if I can find the trim tool. Still don't think the mud flaps were the only issue, but i'll find out after I get them off and drive it around some. Really just want good brakes for when I get the supercharger installed.